13. Search for Anticipation by previous publication and by prior claim
(1) The Examiner to whom an application for a patent is referred under section 12 shall make investigation for the purpose of ascertaining whether the invention so far as claimed in any claim of the complete specification-
- a. has been anticipated by publication before the date of filing of the applicant’s complete specification in any specification filed in pursuance of an application for a patent made in India and dated on or after the 1st day of January, 1912;
- b. is claimed in any claim of any other complete specification published on or after the date of filing of the applicant’s complete specification,being a specification filed in pursuance of an application for a patent made in India and dated before or claiming the priority date earlier than that date.
(2) The Examiner shall, in addition, make such investigation as the Controller may direct for the purpose of ascertaining whether the invention, so far as claimed in any claim of the complete specification, has been anticipated by publication in India or elsewhere in any document other than those mentioned in sub-section (1) before the date of filing of the applicant’s complete specification.
(3) Where a complete specification is amended under the provisions of this Act before it has been accepted, the amended specification shall be examined and investigated in like manner as the original specification.
(4) The examination and investigations required under section 12 and this section shall not be deemed in any way to warrant the validity of any patent, and no liability shall be incurred by the Central Government or any officer thereof by reason of, or in connection with, any such examination or investigation or any report or other proceedings consequent thereon.
14. Consideration of Report of examiner by Controller
Where, in respect of an application for a patent, the report of the Examiner received by the Controller is adverse to the applicant or requires any amendment of the application or of the specification to ensure compliance with the provisions of this Act or of the rules made thereunder, the Controller, before proceeding to dispose of the application in accordance with the provisions hereinafter appearing, shall communicate the gist of the objections to the applicant and shall, if so required by the applicant within the prescribed time, give him an opportunity of being heard.
15. Power of Controller to refuse or require amended applications in certain cases
(1) Where the Controller is satisfied that the application or any specification filed in pursuance thereof does not comply with the requirements of this Act or of any rules made thereunder, the Controller may either-
- a. refuse to proceed with the application; or
- b. require the application, specification or drawings to be amended to his satisfaction before he proceeds with the application.
(2) If it appears to the Controller that the invention claimed in the specification is not an invention within the meaning of, or is not patentable under, this Act, he shall refuse the application.
(3) If it appears to the Controller that any invention, in respect of which an application for a patent is made, might be used in any manner contrary to law, he may refuse the