Sheffield Rules (1858) (final draft)
1. Kick off from Middle must be a place kick.
2. Kick out must not be from more than twenty five yards out of goal.
3. Fair Catch is a Catch from any player provided the Ball has not touched the ground and has not been thrown from touch. Entitles a free kick.
4. Charging is fair in case of a place kick (with the exception of a kick off) as soon as the player offers to kick, but he may always draw back unless he has actually touched the Ball with his foot.
5. Pushing with the Hands is allowed but no Hacking (or tripping up) is fair under any circumstances whatsoever.
6. Holding the Ball, excepting in case of a free kick is altogether disallowed.
7. No player may be held or pulled over.
8. It is not lawful to take the Ball off the ground (except in touch) for any purpose whatever.
9. The Ball may be pushed or hit.
10. A goal must be kicked but not from touch nor by a free kick from a catch.
11. A ball in touch is dead -- consequently the side that touches it down, must bring it to the edge of the touch, & throw it straight out at least sex yards from touch.
12. Each player must provide himself with a red and dark blue flannel cap, one colour to be worn by each side.
- For more information, see Tims, Richard: "Catalogue note (Sheffield Football Club)" (Wikisource contributor note)