The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Mineral Point
MINERAL POINT, a city and the capital of Iowa co., Wisconsin, on a branch of the Pecatonica river, 47 m. W. S. W. of Madison and at the terminus of the Mineral Point railroad (33 m. long), connecting it with the Illinois Central railroad at Warren, Ill.; pop. in 1870, 3,275. It is in the midst of a rich mineral region, yielding lead, copper, and zinc, and contains several hotels, numerous stores, founderies, smelting works for lead and zinc, and breweries. There are eight public schools, including a high school, three private schools, two weekly newspapers, and five churches.