The Copyright Act, 1957
THE COPYRIGHT ACT, 1957
No. 14 of 1957
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title, extent and commencement.
- Meaning of publication.
- When work not deemed to be published or performed in public.
- When work deemed to be first published in India.
- Certain disputes to be decided by Copyright Board.
- Nationality of author where the making of unpublished work is extended over considerable period.
- Domicile of corporations.
Copyright Office and Copyright Board
- Copyright Office.
- Registrar and Deputy Registrars of Copyrights.
- Copyright Board.
- Powers and procedure of Copyright Board.
- Works in which copyright subsists.
- Meaning of copyright.
- Special provision regarding copyright in designs registered or capable of being registered under the Indian Patents and Designs Act, 1911.
- No copyright except as provided in this Act.
Ownership of copyright and the rights of the owner
- First owner of copyright.
- Assignment of copyright.
- Mode of assignment.
- Transmission of copyright in manuscript by testamentary disposition.
- Right of author to relinquish copyright.
Term of copyright
- Term of copyright in published literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works.
- Term of copyright in anonymous and pseudonymous works.
- Term of copyright in posthumous work.
- Term of copyright in photographs.
- Term of copyright in cinematograph films.
- Term of copyright in records.
- Term of copyright in Government works.
- Terms of copyright in works of international organisations.
- Licences by owners of copyright.
- Compulsory licence in works withheld from public.
- Licence to produce and publish translations.
Performing rights societies
- Performing rights society to file statements of fees, charges and royalties.
- Objections relating to published statements.
- Determination of objections.
- Existing rights not affected.
Rights of Broadcasting authorities
- Broadcast reproduction right.
- Other provisions of this Act to apply to broadcast reproduction rights.
- Other rights not affected.
- Power to extend copyright to foreign works.
- Provisions as to works of certain international organisations.
- Power to restrict rights in works of foreign authors first published in India.
- Orders under this Chapter to be laid before Parliament.
Registration of copyright
- Register of Copyrights.
- Entries in Register of Copyrights.
- Form and inspection of register.
- Register of Copyrights to be prima facie evidence of particulars entered therein.
- Correction of entries in the Register of Copyrights.
- Rectification of Register by Copyright Board.
Infringement of copyright
- When copyright infringed.
- Certain acts not to be infringement of copyright.
- Importation of infringing copies.
- Civil remedies for infringement of copyright.
- Protection of separate rights.
- Author's special rights.
- Rights of owner against persons possessing or dealing with infringing copies.
- Restriction on remedies in the case of works of architecture.
- Remedy in the case of groundless threat of legal proceedings.
- Owner of copyright to be party to the proceeding.
- Jurisdiction of court over matters arising under this Chapter.
- Offence of infringement of copyright or other rights conferred by this Act.
- Power of police size infringing copies.
- Possession of plates for purpose of making infringing copies.
- Disposal of infringing copies or plates for purpose of making infringing copies.
- Penalty for making false entries in register, etc., for producing or tendering false entries.
- Penalty for making false statements for the purpose of deceiving or influencing any authority or officer.
- Offences by companies.
- Cognizance of offences.
- Appeals against certain orders of magistrate.
- Appeals against orders of Registrar of Copyrights and Copyright Board.
- Procedure for appeals.
- Registrar of Copyrights and Copyright Board to possess certain powers of civil courts.
- Orders for payment of money passed by Registrar of Copyrights and Copyright Board to be executable as a decree.
- Protection of action taken in good faith.
- Certain persons to be public servants.
- Power to make rules.
- Repeals, savings, and transitional provisions.