The Encyclopedia Americana (1920)/Lichfield
LICHFIELD, lĭch'fēld, England, episcopal city and civic county of Stafford, 17 miles southeast of Stafford. The principal edifice is the cathedral, a noble structure of early English and transitional architecture with a richly decorated west front, and three spires — two on the west, each 180, and one in the centre 280 feet high. Its length internally is 370 feet, and breadth of nave 68 feet. Among other notable monuments is Chantry's celebrated recumbent figures of the “The Sleeping Children.” The cathedral suffered greatly during its sieges in the civil wars from 1643 to 1646, and was restored by Wren. The see of Lichfield was founded in 656, and the city's charter dates from 1549. The city has interesting literary associations, Johnson, Addison and Garrick, born in the town or neighborhood, having been educated at the old grammar school. Johnson's house is now a Johnson Museum. Brewing and carriage and harness works form the principal industries. Pop. 8,616.