The Gateless Gate/Everyday Life Is The Path
Joshu asked Nansen: "What is the path?"
Nansen said: "Everyday life is the path."
Joshu asked: "Can it be studied?"
Nansen said: "If you try to study, you will be far away from it."
Joshu asked: "If I do not study, how can I know it is the path?"
Nansen said: "The path does not belong to the perception world, neither does it belong to the nonperception world. Cognition is a delusion and noncognition is senseless. If you want to reach the true path beyond doubt, place yourself in the same freedom as sky. You name it neither good nor not-good."
At these words Joshu was enlightened.
- Mumon’s comment: Nansen could melt Joshu's frozen doubts at once when Joshu asked his questions. I doubt though if Joshu reached the point that Nansen did. He needed thirty more years of study.
- In spring, hundreds of flowers; in autumn, a harvest moon;
- In summer, a refreshing breeze; in winter, snow will accompany you.
- If useless things do not hang in your mind,
- Any season is a good season for you.