The New International Encyclopædia/Gerhardt, Eduard
GERHARDT, Eduard (1813-88). A German architectural painter, born at Erfurt. He studied architecture in Cologne, and under Semper in Dresden, but in 1838 took up painting at Munich. A series of fine views of Cologne Cathedral attracted the attention of Frederick William IV. of Prussia, whose assistance enabled Gerhardt to continue his studies (1848) in Italy, Spain, and Portugal. Summoned afterwards to Lisbon to instruct the princes of the royal family, he returned in 1851, and settled in Munich. He excelled in depicting Moorish architecture, his oil paintings and water colors being of equal merit, as may be judged by “The Palace of the Inquisition at Cordova” (1857); “Lion Court in the Alhambra” (1861); “Interior of Saint Mark's, Venice” (1864), all in the New Pinakothek, and by “The Alhambra by Moonlight;” “The Generalife;” “The Comares Tower;” and two views in Venice, all in the Schack Gallery, Munich.