The New International Encyclopædia/Havre de Grace
HAVRE DE GRACE, hăv′ẽr de grȧs. A city in Harford County, Md., 30 miles northeast of Baltimore; on the Susquehanna River, near its mouth, in Chesapeake Bay, and on the Baltimore and Ohio and the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore railroads (Map: Maryland, N 2). It makes large shipments of coal and lumber, and has shad and herring fisheries, flour, cotton, saw, and planing mills, and can and shoe factories, and carries on fruit-canning. On Battery Island is a Government fish hatchery. Population, in 1890, 3244; in 1900, 3423.