The New International Encyclopædia/Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts
IOWA STATE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND MECHANIC ARTS. A coeducational State institution at Ames, Iowa, established by act of Legislature in 1858. In 1862 the college came into possession of a grant of public lands bestowed by general act of Congress for the purpose of fostering agricultural and mechanic education. It was formally opened in 1869. It is a college of advanced technology, and organized in divisions of agriculture, engineering, veterinary medicine, and science. The department of agriculture is designed to give a general training for the career of a farmer and, in its longer course, to develop specialists in particular lines of work. A well-stocked farm provides practical work in all the agricultural processes, and the Iowa Experiment Station, in intimate relation to the college work of instruction, gives opportunity for original investigations of agricultural problems. In addition to courses in mechanical, civil, electrical, and mining engineering, the college gives instruction in clay-working and ceramics, and has a department of technology intended to equip students for the manufacturing industries. The division of science supplies foundations in science, language and literature, and economic science. In the instruction of women emphasis is laid on the course in domestic economy. All male students are required to become members of the college battalion. The college domain includes about 840 acres, of which about 120 acres form the campus. The buildings number 17 besides dwelling-houses and buildings for farm stock, machinery, and work, all valued at $575,000. The endowment in 1902 was $683,000, the income $165,000, and the value of all the college property $1,500,000. The library contained 14,000 volumes. Tuition is free to residents of Iowa, students from other States paying an annual fee of $24. Students are admitted on examination or on certificates from accredited schools. The college has of late developed rapidly, and in 1903 had an attendance of 1350 students, and a faculty of 84 members.