The New International Encyclopædia/Mississippi, University of
MISSISSIPPI, University of. A state university chartered in 1844 and opened in 1848, at Oxford, Miss., and maintained until 1880 by annual grants by the Legislature. From 1861 to 1865 exercises were suspended owing to the resignation of the faculty. In 1872 the policy of separate schools, with optional studies and with courses leading to other degrees besides that of B.A., was adopted. The work of the university is organized in seven undergraduate courses, partially elective, leading to the bachelor's degree in arts, science, pedagogy, philosophy, mining, and both civil and electrical engineering. The university also maintains a law school and a summer school, and confers the degree of M.A. and Ph.D. In 1894 the preparatory education was discontinued at the university; and the requirements for admission are those adopted by the Association of Colleges and Preparatory Schools of the Southern States, of which the university is one of the original members. Students from approved high schools are admitted without examination. Since 1882 women are admitted to the classes, but are not permitted to lodge on the campus. The faculty consisted in 1902 of 20 instructors, and the students numbered 243. The library contained 19,000 volumes. The total endowment was $780,000, with a gross income of $47,640. The buildings and grounds were valued at $250,000, the total value of the property being $1,070,000.