The New International Encyclopædia/Mississippi Agricultural and Mechanical College
MISSISSIPPI AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL COLLEGE. A State institution at Agricultural College, Miss., founded in 1880 on the Federal land grant of 1862. It has a preparatory department and three courses of instruction, agricultural, mechanical, and textile, with provision for graduate work and summer sessions. It confers the degrees of Bachelor and Master of Science, and the honorary degree of Master of Progressive Agriculture. Tuition is free to students residing in the State; others pay an annual fee of $20. The college has a military organization, and all students are required to wear a prescribed uniform within five miles of the college buildings. The attendance of women is permitted. In 1902 the faculty and officers of administration numbered 41, and the attendance was 250 in the preparatory department and 354 in the academic. The library contained 8958 bound volumes. The total value of the college property in 1902 was $455,335, and its income from all sources was $196,841.