The New International Encyclopædia/Monforte de Lemos

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The New International Encyclopædia, Volume XIII
Monforte de Lemos

Edition of 1905.  See also Monforte de Lemos on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.

MONFORTE DE LEMOS, mō̇nfōr′tā̇ dā̇ lā′mō̇s. A town of Northwestern Spain, in the Province of Lugo, situated in a fertile valley, 35 miles south of Lugo, with which it has railroad connection (Map: Spain, B 1). Near by is a hill on which are the ruins of a castle of the lords of Lemos. The town has a secondary school installed in an attractive old Jesuit convent. The chief industry is cattle-raising, and there are some manufactures of cloth, soap, and chocolate. Population, in 1900, 12,999.