The New International Encyclopædia/Ohlau
OHLAU, ō′lou. A town of Silesia, Prussia, 10 miles southeast of Breslau, on the Ohlau, a tributary of the Oder (Map: Prussia, G 3). The town has a gymnasium. The surrounding country is a tobacco district, so the town has large tobacco and cigar factories, and in addition manufactures of white lead, machinery, lime, wagons, bone-dust, and slices. There are also saw-mills and brick-kilns, and the town has steamboat communication with Breslau. Ohlau was formerly a residence of the dukes of Brieg and of the Sobieskis, and in 1742 became part of Prussia. Population, in 1900, 9235.