The New International Encyclopædia/Rauhes Haus
RAUHES HAUS, rou′es hous. One of the earliest industrial institutions for poor boys, founded by Wichern at Horn, near Hamburg, November 1, 1833, in an old house called by its former occupant ‘Ruges Hus,’ which by a mistranslation into high German became Rauhes Haus. There are now about 25 buildings occupied by the boys, who live in groups (families) of 12 or 15 under the charge of a brother. The scope of the school has widened with its growth, and now comprises: (1) Department for neglected children who receive a common school education and are trained for handwork, and later on are apprenticed or employed in the institution, (2) Department for trades instruction, (3) Boarding department for boys of better families, (4) A training school, begun in 1845, for workers in charitable societies and institutions. The men are called brothers, and most of them have found service under the Innere Mission (q.v.) (5) Book department, including a printing office, started in 1844. The oversight and care of the children falls largely on the assistants, who are training for work in other institutions. The Rauhes Haus with the institution at Mettray, France, have been widely and favorably known. Consult Wichern, Das Rauhe Haus von 1833-83 (Hamburg, 1883).