The New International Encyclopædia/Washington and Jefferson College
WASHINGTON AND JEFFERSON COLLEGE. An institution of higher education at Washington, Pa., founded in 1787 as Washington Academy and chartered as Washington College in 1806. In 1865, to secure a conditional gift of $50,000, Washington College and the neighboring Jefferson College, founded in 1802, were united under the present name, and in 1869 the location of the consolidated institution was fixed at Washington. The college is Presbyterian in affinity, but is not under ecclesiastical control. It admits students on certificate as well as by examination. Three courses of study leading to degrees are offered—classical, Latin scientific, and French scientific. A summer school and a preparatory department with courses corresponding to those in the college are maintained. In 1903 the attendance was 360, of whom 250 were collegiate students; the instructors numbered 25; and the library contained 16,000 volumes. The endowment was $250,000, the income $40,000, and the value of the college property $1,100,000. The centennial of the college was celebrated in 1902, when gifts to the amount of $425,000 were secured, of which $50,000 was for a library building and $375,000 for endowment.