The New International Encyclopædia/Zweibrücken
ZWEIBRÜCKEN, tsvī-brụk'en (Fr. Deux-Ponts). A town of the Rhenish Palatinate, Bavaria, on the Schwarzbach, 66 miles southwest of Mainz (Map: Germany, B 4). It is well built, its principal building being the Alexanderskirche, with the ducal burial vaults. The chief manufactures include silk-plush, steam engines, and agricultural machinery, paper, chains, and leather. Population, in 1900, 13,716. The town was the capital of the Duchy of Zweibrücken, which arose in the Middle Ages and existed down to the close of the eighteenth century.