The New York Times/1925/12/14/Northwestern University Plans to Absorb Armour Institute in its Engineering School
Northwestern University Plans to Absorb
Armour Institute in its Engineering School
Special to The New York Times.
CHICAGO, Dec. 13.—As the result of negotiations which have been carried on quietly for some time, the Engineering School of Northwestern University is expected to take over the Armour Institute of Technology and thus make Chicago one of the engineering centres of the country.
The negotiations between the two boards of trustees have been held secret, but it is known that the plan contemplates a gradual movement over a five-year period of the physical and educational assets of the Institute into the administrative control of Northwestern. During the interim the Armour name will remain, but at the end of the five years there will be only the one school, with its main buildings on the Evanston campus and its night classes and laboratories on the new McKinlock campus in Chicago.
President Walter Dill Scott of Northwestern admitted that negotiations were under way.
"Everybody on both sides is agreeable," he said. "We are now on a working basis, but everything beyond that is tentative. If the plan is consummated it will be a great forward stop in the development of Chicago and of the university."
Dr. Howard Raymond, President of Armour Institute, admitted that he had heard rumours of the consolidation.
Armour Institute of Technology was founded by Phillip D. Armour, who contributed an endowment of more than $2,650,000. Since his death J. Ogden Armour has contributed several millions more, and has been active as President of the board.