The Times/1912/Obituary/Henry Leigh Bennett
Canon H. L. Bennett
The death of Canon Henry Leigh Bennett took place at Leamington yesterday.
Canon Bennett, who was born in 1833, was the second son of the late Rev. E. Leigh Bennett, vicar of Long Sutton, Lincolnshire. After being at Rugby he went to Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and took his degree in the Second Class in Lit. Hum. in 1855. He also obtained the second Ellerton Theological Prize. He was ordained deacon by the Bishop of Norwich (Dr. Hinds) in 1856m and served in the curacies of Burgh Castle, Suffolk, and Lutton and Long Sutton in Lincolnshire. In 1868 he was appointed to the vicarage of St. Peter, Mansfield, which he left in 1873 to become vicar of Scarrington, Notts. In the same year the Bishop of Lincoln (Dr. Christopher Wordsworth) appointed him Prebendary of Kilsby in Lincoln Cathedral. Two years later he was preferred to the rectory of Thrybergh, Yorkshire, where he remained until 1900. His last benefice was St. Mary Magadalene, Lincoln, from which he retired in 1904. Canon Bennett was appointed Rural Dean of Bingham in 1874, but resigned his office a year later on his removal to Yorkshire. He was Rural Dean of Rotherham from 1881 to 1895. He was the author of a Life of Archbishop Rotherham published in 1801.In 1871 Canon Bennett married Miss Grace Granville, daughter of the Rev. J. Granville Granville rector of Pleasley. Notts, who, together with four sons and three daughters, survives him.