- What brings you to Wikisource? Are you interested in an author, or a specific work? Perhaps I or someone else can help you get started. John Vandenberg (chat) 10:13, 16 July 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for the offer for help. I come here only as a result of the unified login feature, and decided to leave a link to my en.wiki user page. I wanted to add the Atharva Veda to this collection. This is the only Veda missing, and I happen to have a 1916 english translation of this ancient Hindu work. Any ideas? Is the only option to type out stuff from this? And is that acceptable? Prashanthns 10:24, 16 July 2008 (UTC)
That would be great. There are two options:
- find the text online and copy and paste it to Wikisource, or
- find a digital copy of the work, possibly within these, and we set up a transcription project resulting in a perfect transcription of the work, and pagescans to accompany it. For example, Index:A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism - Volume 1.djvu
The first option is the quickest approach, and if there is a sufficiently trustworthy edition online, and it wont take much time, this approach can be done first, while we slowly prepare for the second approach. A good way to find an online edition of a work you have in your hand is to open the book, find a rather unique sentence, and google it. Try this a few times and you should find a decent transcription. The internet is full of transcriptions; Wikisource are pulling them all together into a well organised library.
The second option is our preferred option, and Wikisource regulars will be happy to help you with the steep learning curve. In order to take this option, we need to work out which edition is the most desirable. If you think your 1916 edition is suitable, we can go searching for pagescans of it or another edition by the same author. John Vandenberg (chat) 11:10, 16 July 2008 (UTC) p.s. there is no need to respond on my talk; ill keep watching this page for updates.
- Thanks for the detailed reply. I am going on to the first option. Will sound you out for any help. Thanks. Prashanthns (talk) 11:26, 16 July 2008 (UTC)
Looking good. As luck would have it, I have been slowly putting together the SBE series here, so if you get bored of copy and pasting Griffith, you can help proofread Bloomfield's work, which my bot is now uploading the OCR text of. John Vandenberg (chat) 14:06, 16 July 2008 (UTC)