|This project is to co-ordinate efforts to retrieve and present works stored by the United States National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).|
|You are transcribing or proofreading a single page of the document you have selected. The goal is to accurately type into the box below the exact text displayed in the image to the right, including all original punctuation, spelling, spacing, and formatting, and or to independently verify another contributor's transcription.
About WikiProject NARA
The United States National Archives and Records Administration is an independent agency of the United States government charged with preserving and documenting government and historical records. It holds a huge quantity of information, much of which falls under What Wikisource Includes. However, many records, while nominally available to the public, are not easily accessed over the Internet. This WikiProject aims to co-ordinate and oversee the addition of valuable works from NARA in the Wikisource corpus. It provides a common discussion area, lists of works that are wanted, in progress, needing work, and ready for "normal" proofreading to begin.
It is hoped that this project will attract users from outside Wikisource, and there is plenty to do without being acquainted with the full Wikisource system (although if we can persuade new users to stay, so much the better!).
If you are new to WikiProject NARA, please read Getting involved for a guide on basic workflow, as well a list of users who can help you.
People on the ground
This summer, we are lucky to have a Wikimedian, Dominic, on the ground at NARA who can source documents for us that are incomplete, damaged or not accessible over the normal NARA web interface.
- Wikisource talk:WikiProject NARA: General talk about WikiProject:NARA.
- Getting involved: A guide on getting involved in this project.
- To retrieve: A list of works that are wanted from NARA.
- To prepare: Works that have been retrieved from NARA and need basic Wikisource groundwork doing, such as collating to DjVu, OCR, index creating and linking to and from the relevant Portals.
- Completed: Works that have been prepared for normal editing.