The series was originally created by the Presbyterian publishing house of T. & T. Clark in Edinburgh as the Ante-Nicene Christian Library and published serially from 1867 to 1885. The volumes were translated and edited by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson.
In 1885 a U.S. firm, the Christian Literature Company, began to issue the volumes in a reorganised form, edited by A. Cleveland Coxe. This was in fact piracy of the ANCL, and treated as such by T. &. T. Clark at the time. However there was little recognition of overseas copyright in the USA at this date, and Clark's were obliged to accept the situation. Coxe gave his series the title The Ante-Nicene Fathers.
153089Ante-Nicene Christian Library: Translations of the Writings of the Fathers down to A.D. 3251885