Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Ne||Alfred Newton
|English zoologist and ornithologist; Professor of Comparative Anatomy at Cambridge University from 1866 to 1907; in 1900 was awarded the Royal Medal of the Royal Society and the Gold Medal of the Linnaean Society|
This author wrote articles for the Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB9 by the initials "A. N."
This author wrote articles for the Dictionary of National Biography, and the list on this page is complete to 1901.
Articles written by this author are designated in the DNB by the initials "A. N-n."
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "A. N."
- Newton, A. (1862), “On the zoology of ancient Europe”, Cambridge Philosophical Society, <https://books.google.com/?id=4vwZAAAAYAAJ&dq=inauthor%3AAlfred%20inauthor%3ANewton&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q=>
- Newton A. (1864–1907), Ootheca Wolleyana: 1. An illustrated catalogue of the collection of birds' eggs formed by the late John Wolley 2. Eggs of the native birds of Britain and list of British birds, past and present. The first part was published in 1864; it was not until 1902 that Newton was able to resume the work and the next parts appeared in 1902, 1905 and 1907. The work is illustrated with colour lithographic plates and with black & white illustrations. Artists include Newton, Balcomb, Grönvold, M. Hanhart, J. Jury, and Joseph Wolf. The 11th edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica comments: "[This] was an amplification of the numerous articles on birds which he contributed to the 9th edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica".
- Newton, A. & Newton, E. (1868), “On the osteology of the Solitaire or Didine bird of the Island of Rodriguez”, Proceedings of the Royal Society 103: 428–433, <https://books.google.com/?id=tKsOAAAAIAAJ&dq=proceedings%20of%20the%20royal%20society%201868&pg=PA428#v=onepage&q=>
- On a Method of Registering Natural History Observations. (1871) Transactions of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists’ Society. pp.24-32, plates (PDF)
- Newton, A. (1874), Manual of Zoology, London: SPCK, <https://archive.org/details/zoology00newtgoog>
- Newton, A.; Newton, E. (1880). "List of the Birds of Jamaica". Handbook of Jamaica.
- Newton, A. (1880), Report on the practicability of establishing a 'Close Time' for the protection of indigenous animals, by a Committee appointed by the British Association, 1869-1880, British Association Reports, London
- Newton, A. (1881), “The Wild Birds' Protection Act 1880, with explanatory notes. London (Field Office) 1880”, Quarterly Review 151 (301: January 1881): 100
- Newton, Alfred (1888), “Early days of Darwinism”, Macmillan's Magazine 57 (February 1888): 241–249, <https://archive.org/stream/macmillansmagaz07grovgoog#page/n252/mode/1up>
- Newton A. (assisted by Hans Gadow, with contributions from Richard Lydekker, Charles S. Roy and Robert Shufeldt) (1893–1896), Dictionary of Birds. Reprinted in one volume (1088 pages) Black, London, 1896.
- Newton A. et al. (1896–1903), Bird migration in Great Britain and Ireland. Reports of the Committee... British Association.
AUS to CON
CON to FRA
- (in part)
FRA to HAR
HAR to ITA
ITA to LOR
LOR to MUN
MUN to PAY
- (in part)
- Peter Chalmers Mitchell) (with
PAY to REE
- Hugh Chisholm) (with footnote by
REF to SHU
SHU to TOM
TON to ZYM
Works about Newton