Author:James Edmund Fotheringham Harting
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Ha||James Edmund Fotheringham Harting
|English ornithologist and conservationist; librarian and assistant secretary of the Linnean Society. Best known under the name 'James Edmund Harting.' |
This author wrote articles for the Dictionary of National Biography, and the list on this page is complete to 1901.
Articles written by this author are designated in the DNB by the initials "J. E. H."
- The birds of Middlesex. A contribution to the natural history of the county (1866)
- The Ornithology of Shakespeare: Critically Examined, Explained, and Illustrated (1871)
- Hints on shore shooting; with a chapter on skinning and preserving birds (1871)
- A handbook of British birds (1872)
- Rambles in Search of Shells, Land and Freshwater (1875)
- The fauna of the Prybilov Islands (1875)
- Our Summer Migrants: An Account of the Migratory Birds which Pass the Summer in the British Islands (1877)
- —— (1880). British Animals Extinct Within Historic Times: with Some Account of British Wild White Cattle. London: Trübner & Co. (BHL).
- Edition Boston : J.R. Osgood & Co (1880):
- Essays on sport and natural history (1883)
- —— (1884). Hints on the Management of Hawks. London: Horace Cox, "The Field" Office. (second expanded edition: Harting 1898)
- Bibliotheca Accipitraria (1891)
- The rabbit; with a chapter on Cookery (1898)
- —— (1898). Hints on the Management of Hawks (second edition), to which is added: Practical Falconry, chapters historical and descriptive. London: Horace Cox, "The Field" Office. (second expanded edition of Harting 1884)
- —— (1901). A Handbook of British Birds, Showing the Distribution of the Resident and Migratory Species in the British Islands, with an Index to the Records of the Rarer Visitants. London: John C. Nimmo.
Editor of The Zoologist
James Edmund Harting was editor of The Zoologist from 1877 to 1896:
- 3rd series, volume1 (1877)
- 3rd series, vol2 (1878)
- 3th series, vol 19 (1895)
- 3th series, vol 20 (1896)
Contributions to The Zoologist
Apart from many unsigned contributions as the editor, Harting also contributed:
- Harting, J.E. (1877). "On the Occurence for the First Time in England of the American Red-breasted Thrush (Turdus migratorius)". The Zoologist. 3rd series, vol 1 (issue 1, January): 14–17.
- —— (1897). "Dogs of Draught in Belgium". The Zoologist. 4th series, vol 1 (issue 667, January—section 'Notes and Queries'): 33–34.
Works about Harting
- review of Harting 1898, in The Zoologist, 4th series, vol 2 (1898), issue 683—May, p. 228
- review of Harting 1901, in: The Zoologist, 4th series, vol 2 (1898), issue 720—June, p. 231–232