Author:James Hain Friswell
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Author Index: Fr||James Hain Friswell
|English essayist and novelist|
- Essays and Studies
- The Russian Empire: Its History and Present Condition of Its People, 1854.
- Houses with the Fronts Off, 1854.
- Twelve Inside and One Out, 1854.
- Footsteps to Fame: A Book to Open Other Books, 1861.
- The Gentle Life: Essays in Aid of the Formation of Character, 1864.
- About in the World: Essays, 1864.
- Life Portraits of William Shakespeare: A History of the Various Representations of the Poet, with an Examination into Their Authenticity, 1864.
- Familiar Words: An Index Verborum, or a Quotation Handbook, with Parallel Passages, of Phrases Which Have Become Imbedded in Our English Tongue, 1865.
- Varia: Readings from Rare Books, 1866.
- The Silent Hour: Essays for Sunday Reading, 1868.
- The Gentle Life: Essays in Aid of the Formation of Character, Second Series, 1868.
- Essays on English Writers, 1869.
- Modern Men of Letters Honestly Criticised, 1870.
- A Man's Thoughts, 1872.
- The Better Self: Essays from Home Life, 1875.
- Novels and Stories
- Diamonds and Spades: A Story of Two Lives, 1858.
- Ghost Stories and Phantom Fancies, 1858.
- Out and About: A Boy's Adventures, Written for Adventurous Boys, 1860.
- Sham! A Novel Written in Earnest, 1861.
- The Young Couple and Miscellanies, 1862.
- A Daughter of Eve, 1863.
- A Splendid Fortune: A Novel, 1865.
- "Christmas Eve in Custody," printed in Mixed Sweets from Routledge's Annual, 1867.
- Other People's Windows, 1868.
- One of Two: A Novel, 1871.
- Our Square Circle: A Novel, completed by his daughter, L. H. Friswell, 1880.
- Blackwell's Comic Zadkiel, 1855.
- Songs of the War, by the Best Writers. Edited, with Original Songs, by James Hain Friswell, 1855.
- Francis Spira, and Other Poems, 1865.
- Marcus Ward's Picture Fables, from Æsop, Told Anew in Verse, by J. Hain Friswell, 1874. In four books:
- The Wolf and the Lamb, and Other Fables
- The Hare and Tortoise, and Other Fables
- The Jackdaw and Peacock, and Other Fables
- The Dog in the Manger, and Other Fables
Editions and Translations
- Essays by Montaigne, edited and compared, 1866.
- The Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia, by Sir Philip Sidney, with notes and introductory essay, 1867.
- Like unto Christ, a translation of the De Imitatione Christi of Thomas à Kempis, 1868.
- Essays in Mosaic, by T. Ballantyne, with a preface, 1870.
- Reflections, by F. de Rochefoucauld, with introduction, notes, and an account of the author and his times, 1871, with John William Willis-Bund
- Pleasure: A Holiday Book of Prose and Verse, 1871.
- Ninety Three, by V. M. Hugo, translated, 1874.
Works about Friswell