|←Author Index: Ar||Matthew Arnold
English poet and cultural critic
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "M. A."
The following are published works of poetry. For individual poems, see Author:Matthew Arnold/Index of Titles.
- Alaric at Rome (1840)
- Cromwell (1843)
- The strayed reveller, and other poems (1849, as "A.")
- Empedocles on Etna, and other poems (1852)
- Poems, a new edition (1853)
- Poems, second series (1854)
- Merope, a tragedy (1858)
- Saint Brandan (1867)
- New Poems (1867)
- Poems (1869, in 2 vols.)
- Poems (1877, new and complete edition)
- Selected poems of Matthew Arnold (1878, selected by Arnold)
- Geist's Grave (1881)
- The Matthew Arnold birthday book (1883, arr. by Arnold's daughter)
- The poetical works of Matthew Arnold (1897, complete edition)
- “Worldly Place” in Littell's Living Age, 147 (1896)
- Poems of Wordsworth (1879)
- Poetry of Byron (1881)
- England and the Italian Question (1859)
- On Translating Homer (1861) external link
- The Popular Education of France (1861) external link
- On Translating Homer: Last Words (1862) external link
- A French Eton (1864) external link
- Essays in Criticism (1865) external link
- On the Study of Celtic Literature (1867) external link
- Essays in Celtic Literature (1868)
- Culture and Anarchy (1869) external link
- St. Paul and Protestantism (1870) external link
- Friendship's Garland (1871) external link
- Literature and Dogma (1873)
- God and the Bible (1875) external link
- Last Essays on Church and Religion (1877) external link
- Mixed Essays (1879) external link
- Irish Essays (1882) external link
- Discourses in America (1885) external link
- General Grant, an estimate (1887) external link
- The Study of Celtic Literature (1891, the "Popular Edition" of On the Study of Celtic Literature) external link
- Sweetness and light (1896) external link
- The scholar gipsy & Thyrsis  external link
- “Civilization in the United States” in Littell's Living Age, 177 (2288), first published in Nineteenth Century (~1888)
- “Sainte-Beuve, Charles Augustin,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “East London” in Littell's Living Age, 147 (1897)
Articles in Popular Science Monthly
Works about Arnold
- “Arnold, Matthew,” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Arnold, Matthew,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- Matthew Arnold (The Century Magazine, April 1894:931-37)
- Matthew Arnold: A later estimate, from the point of view of one who knew him well (Lippincott's Monthly, December 1909:670-74)
- "Matthew Arnold" in Cartoon portraits and biographical sketches of men of the day, by anonymous, illustrated by Frederick Waddy, London: Tinsley Brothers, 1873.
- “Arnold, Matthew” in Men of the Time, eleventh edition, London: George Routledge and Sons, (1884).
- “Arnold, Matthew,” The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co., 1914.
- "Matthew Arnold" in Leslie Stephen's Studies of a Biographer, vol. 2
- “Arnold, Matthew,” in Dictionary of National Biography Supplement, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1901) in 3 vols.