Author talk:Robina Forrester Hardy
Conflicting information about life.
Daughter of Scottish minister
- a family tree that says she marries b/w 1881 and 1891, dies 1934.
- The Stanford Companion to Victorian Fiction states she dies 1891.
The raw records indicate that a Robina F. Reid dies in 1934, and birth detail in later census records seems to indicate that this later death is correct. — billinghurst sDrewth 08:26, 21 May 2014 (UTC)
- Marriage to William Reid in 1888, wedding photo displayed at [http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/19708670/person/844771544/photox/12b3bd5e-f41f-4030-a239-a2897e75fa0d?src=search Ancestry
- There is a death certificate in the records for Newington, Edinburgh for Robina Forrester Hardy, "authoress", aged 53, died on 12 August 1891. AllyD (talk) 07:50, 8 April 2018 (UTC)
- Looking further at the official records available (at cost) through ScotlandsPeople, there are clearly two people with this name:
- Robina Forrester Hardy (born Edinburgh 24 April 1835); parents surgeon/dentist Thomas Hardy and Robina Forrester; died Edinburgh 12 August 1891, described as “authoress” on death certificate. (The parents' names correspond with the recorded birth though the age on the certificate is misaligned.) This year of death coincides with the end of the subject's writing career.
- Robina Forrester Hardy (born Fowlis Wester 16 February 1861); parents Rev. Thomas Hardy and Helen Isabella Liston; married farmer William Reid in Fowlis Wester in 1888.
- Person 1 is in the right location and with the right occupation to match the writer's career. Person 2 appears to have stayed close to Crieff with no indication of a writing career in Edinburgh. While it would be nice to find a supporting contemporaneous item from the press in 1891, I see no reason to disbelieve the encyclopaedic sources which match person 1. AllyD (talk) 09:31, 8 April 2018 (UTC)