Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019
रजिस्ट्री सं. डी.एल.—(एन)04/0007/2003—19 REGISTERED NO. DL-(N)04/0007/2003—19
भारत का राजपत्र
The Gazette of India
भाग II — खण्ड 1
PART II — Section 1
प्राधिकार से प्रकाशित
PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
नई दिल्ली, बृहस्पतिवार, दिसम्बर 12, 2019/अग्रहायण 21, 1941 (शक)
NEW DELHI, THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2019/AGRAHAYANA 21, 1941 (SAKA)
इस भाग में भिन्न पृष्ठ संख्या दी जाती है जिससे कि यह अलग संकलन के रूप में रखा जा सके।
Separate paging is given to this Part in order that it may be filed as a separate compilation.
MINISTRY OF LAW AND JUSTICE
New Delhi, the 12th December, 2019/Agrahayana 21, 1941 (Saka)
The following Act of Parliament received the assent of the President on the 12th December, 2019, and is hereby published for general information:—
THE CITIZENSHIP (AMENDMENT) ACT, 2019
NO. 47 OF 2019
[12th December, 2019.]
An Act further to amend the Citizenship Act, 1955.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Seventieth Year of the Republic of India as follows:—
Short title and commencement.
1. (1) This Act may be called the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019.
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
Amendment of section 2.
2. In the Citizenship Act, 1955 (hereinafter referred to as the principal Act), in section 2, in sub-section (1), in clause (b), the following proviso shall be inserted, namely:—
Insertion of new section 6B.
3. After section 6A of the principal Act, the following section shall be inserted, namely:—
Special provisions as to citizenship of person covered by proviso to clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 2.
'6B. (1) The Central Government or an authority specified by it in this behalf may, subject to such conditions, restrictions and manner as may be prescribed, on an application made in this behalf, grant a certificate of registration or certificate of naturalisation to a person referred to in the proviso to clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 2.
(2) Subject to fulfilment of the conditions specified in section 5 or the qualifications for naturalisation under the provisions of the Third Schedule, a person granted the certificate of registration or certificate of naturalisation under sub-section (1) shall be deemed to be a citizen of India from the date of his entry into India.
(3) On and from the date of commencement of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019, any proceeding pending against a person under this section in respect of illegal migration or citizenship shall stand abated on conferment of citizenship to him:
Provided that such person shall not be disqualified for making application for citizenship under this section on the ground that the proceeding is pending against him and the Central Government or authority specified by it in this behalf shall not reject his application on that ground if he is otherwise found qualified for grant of citizenship under this section:
Provided further that the person who makes the application for citizenship under this section shall not be deprived of his rights and privileges to which he was entitled on the date of receipt of his application on the ground of making such application.
(4) Nothing in this section shall apply to tribal area of Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram or Tripura as included in the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution and the area covered under "The Inner Line" notified under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873.'.
Amendment of section 7D.
4. In section 7D of the principal Act,—
(i) after clause (d), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:—
"(da) the Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder has violated any of the provisions of this Act or provisions of any other law for time being in force as may be specified by the Central Government in the notification published in the Official Gazette; or";
(ii) after clause (f), the following proviso shall be inserted, namely:—
"Provided that no order under this section shall be passed unless the Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard.".
Amendment of section 18.
5. In section 18 of the principal Act, in sub-section (2), after clause (ee), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:—
Amendment of Third Schedule.
6. In the Third Schedule to the principal Act, in clause (d), the following proviso shall be inserted, namely:—
DR . G. NARAYANA RAJU,
Secretary to the Govt. of India.
UPLOADED BY THE MANAGER, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA PRESS, MINTO ROAD, NEW DELHI–110002
AND PUBLISHED BY THE CONTROLLER OF PUBLICATIONS, DELHI–110054.
This work is the work of Government of India. Section 52(1)(q) of the Indian Copyright Act, 1957 allows for the reproduction or publication of
- any matter which has been published in any Official Gazette except an Act of a Legislature;
- any Act of a Legislature subject to the condition that such Act is reproduced or published together with any commentary thereon or any other original matter;
- the report of any committee, commission, council, board or other like body appointed by the government if such report has been laid on the Table of the Legislature, unless the reproduction or publication of such report is prohibited by the government;
- any judgement or order of a court, Tribunal or other judicial authority, unless the reproduction or publication of such judgement or order is prohibited by the court, the Tribunal or other judicial authority, as the case may be.
The decision of the Supreme Court of India in "Eastern Book Company & Ors vs D.B. Modak & Anr" on 12 December, 2007 interpreted this section of the Act as making the material public domain.
This work is also in the public domain in the U.S. because it is an edict of a government, local or foreign. See § 313.6(C)(2) of the Compendium II: Copyright Office Practices. Such documents include "legislative enactments, judicial decisions, administrative rulings, public ordinances, or similar types of official legal materials" as well as "any translation prepared by a government employee acting within the course of his or her official duties."