Executive Order 10189
By virtue of and pursuant to the authority vested in me by section 12 of the Act of July 2, 1926, 44 Stat. 789, as amended by section 4 of the Act of July 30, 1937, 50 Stat. 549, and in consonance with the Act of May 3, 1950, Public Law 501, 81st Congress, it is ordered as follows:
- Paragraph 8 of Executive Order No. 4601 of March 1, 1927, prescribing rules and regulations pertaining to the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross, is hereby amended to read as follows:
‘‘8. (a) For any act of heroism or extraordinary achievement performed on or before July 2, 1926, the Distinguished Flying Cross shall not be awarded after July 2, 1929, nor unless the recommendation therefor shall have been made on or before July 2, 1928. For any such act or achievement performed subsequent to July 2, 1926, the said decoration shall not be awarded after more than three years from the date of such act or achievement, not unless the recommendation therefor shall have been made at the time of such act or achievement or within two years thereafter:
Provided, that for any such act or achievement performed between December 7, 1941, and September 2, 1945, the said decoration may be awarded not later than May 2, 1952, in any case in which the written recommendation therefor shall have been made on or before May 2, 1951:
And provided further, that for any such act or achievement performed during the period commencing September 3, 1945, and ending at twelve o'clock noon, December 31, 1946, the date of the termination of hostilities of World War II, as proclaimed by Proclamation No. 2714 of December 31, 1946, the said decoration may be awarded in any case in which the recommendation therefor shall have been made not later than June 30, 1947.
‘‘(b) In any case in which a recommendation for the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross has been lost and such recommendation is alleged to have been made within the applicable period of time prescribed by subdivision (a) of this paragraph, the certificate of an officer or the affidavit of an enlisted man to the effect that the recommendation was made within such applicable period of time and forwarded through official channels, accompanied by a statement of the substance of the recommendation, or preferably a copy thereof, shall be accepted, and the case considered on its merits.’’
- Executive Order No. 9615 of September 14, 1945, making certain time limitations imposed by the said paragraph 8 of Executive Order No. 4601 inapplicable to certain cases, is hereby superseded.
- Executive Order 4601, March 1, 1927
- Executive Order 9615, September 14, 1945
- See Related:
- Executive Order 4576, January 28, 1927;
- Executive Order 7786, January 8, 1938;
- Executive Order 7962, August 22, 1938;
- Transfer Order 40 of the Secretary of Defense dated July 22, 1949 (14 FR 4908)
- Executive Order 13286, February 28, 2003