ePub and other formats
Having just got an ebook reader, I'd like to download some books, but I'd prefer ePub format to PDF as it's more flexible. I'm surprised not to find a choice of output formats for books. Doing a bit of googling I see there is a Wikimedia extension called ePubExport so it can't be a huge job to provide it.
Bug, equations omitted
I tried to download a pdf for http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Translation:On_the_Dynamics_of_the_Electron_%28July%29 but the equations do not print. I have downloaded other wiki pages to pdf files without a problem even in the presence of equations. Here though it looks like none of the equations print. 22.214.171.124 13:56, 14 January 2015 (UTC)
2014-06-04 - From PediaPress Helpdesk
Wikisource uses the "proofread extension" which is incompatible with our book output.
The failed output can easily be spotted when previewing your title and so far, we never had any orders from Wikisource.
PediaPress Customer Service
I was creating a pdf version of some "featured books" and the resulting output didn't have any text in it. All page content were missing, save page titles and contributor names. I tried many books and all resulted in the same output. Even firing up the book creator and adding pages manually didn't help.
- I found the reason. The book compiling tool takes the text from the page itself (you can see it if you click the edit button). The text for Julius Caesar is in the wiki editing page itself, while the text for On the Origin of the Species is extracted from a .djvu file. The book compiling tool can't see the rendering of the .djvu. It's a bug or a programming oversight.
Where has chapter function and change article order gone?
Bug day: Book tool/Collection/PDF, 2014-10-08, 14–22 UTC
We will be triaging bug reports for the Collection extension (Book tool) in general and PDF export in particular, which were just switched to a new backend (OCG). We have two immediate goals:
- recover 100 % of the relevant reports from the defunct PediaPress tracker;
- get a clean list of known PDF issues that the new backend didn't fix.
Everyone is welcome to join any time these weeks, and no technical knowledge is needed! It's an easy way to get involved or to give something back. We encourage you to record your activity on the etherpad. See also:
- this information, participants list and more (please sign!);
- more information on triaging in general.
I look forward to seeing you there. Please distribute further by email, talk pages etc. (Collection is used on almost 2 thousands wikis!)
Nemo 18:14, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
Download as EPUB not working?
Clicking on "Download as EPUB" results in the following page:
Four hundred and four!
The URI you have requested, /wsexport/tool/book.php?lang=en&format=epub-3&page=Much_Ado_About_Nothing_(Shakespeare), doesn't seem to actually exist.
If you have reached this page from somewhere else...
This URI is managed by the wsexport tool, maintained by Coren and Tpt.
Perhaps its files are on vacation, or the link you've followed doesn't actually lead somewhere useful?
You might want to looks at the list of tools to find what you were looking for, or one of the links on the sidebar to the left. If you're pretty sure this shouldn't be an error, you may wish to notify the tool's maintainers (above) about the error and how you ended up here.
- Note Check as of today (20160526) shows that the EPUB is working fine. — billinghurst sDrewth 03:59, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
–— Just tried it again, getting a 504 error. 126.96.36.199 10:04, 8 June 2016 (UTC)
Bug. Illustrations doesn't appear in pdf format
I tried to print "A Book of Dartmoor" in pdf format and the illustrations didn't appear in the pdf. The preview with Pedia Press let me choose an illustration for the cover, but I can't see them in the preview because it only shows the index of the book, so I'm not sure that the illustrations will appear in the printed book. —unsigned comment by Rutius (talk) .
- <mumble grumble> book tool! @Rutius: try the other wsexport tool https://tools.wmflabs.org/wsexport/tool/book.php?lang=en&format=pdf-a4&page=A_Book_of_Dartmoor . It is what we use for the mobi and epub generation — billinghurst sDrewth 06:18, 26 May 2016 (UTC)