created a K.C.B. (civil division) in 1818, and was offered the govemor- eh:^ of tibe Cape of €K>od Hope. This post he declined, though he imdertook the duties of a conum»- iioner for settling the boundary qaestion in dispute in that colony. in 1866 he was nominated per- manent Under-Secretary to the India Board, on the reccnistraction of our Indian administration, and in 1858 Under-Secretaxy of State for India. In April, 1860, he was again nominated to the govemor- thip of Bombay ; but he resigned in consequence of Hi-health in 1861, and was appointed a member of her Majesty's T-nHif>.Tt Conncil in Dec. 1863. He held the latter appointment till 1876. On the establishment of the order of the Star of India, in 1861, he was one of the first created knights of the order ; and on its extension in 1866 he was nominated one of the Knights Oraud Cross.
CLIFFORD, Frbdebick, was bom in 1828, and called to the bar of the Middle Temple in 1859. He served as Assistant Boundary Com- missioner under the Bef orm Act of 1867. Mr. Clifford, who for many years has been on the literary staff of the Tillies, is the author of a treatise on " The Steamboat Powers of Railway Companies " (1865), and joint anthor (with Mr. Pembroke Stephens) of a treatise on "The Practice of the Court of Eeferees on Private Bills in Parliament" (1870), a standard text-book in Private Bill Practice. He is also joint anthor of yearly volumes of Reports of Cases as to the Locus
1875;" of other Papers reprinted from the Journal of the Boyid Agricultural Society ; and of an article on "English Land Law," forming one of the treatises pre- IMured under the direction of the Boyal Agricultural Society, and tnmslated and published by " La Society desAgriculteursde Prance," for the " Congr^s International de I'Agriculture," held in Paris in 1878. CLIPPOED, Majob-Gbnebal Thb Hon. Sib Henbt Hugh, K.C.M.Q., C.B., V.C, son of the seventh Lord Clifford, of Chudley, by Maiy Lucy, daughter of Mr. Thomas Weld, of Lulworth Castle, was born in 1826. Entering the army in 1846, General Clifford served throughout the Caffre war of 1852-3 with the Rifle Brigade, and was present at the battle of Boem Platz. He accompanied his battalion to the Crimea at the out- break of the Eastern campaign of 1854; and, being appointed aide- de-camp to Major-General Buller, served in that capacity during the early part of the war, and subse- quently as Deputy- Assistant Adju- tant-General of the Light Division. He received the Victoria Cross for conspicuous courage at Inkermann, where, by killing two Russians with his own sword, he saved the life of a private. As Assistant-Quarter- master-General of the China Ex- peditionary Force, General Clifford was present at the operations before and at the taking of Canton in 1857, and received the rank of Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel. In Feb. 1879, he left England for South Africa, to take up an ap- pointment on the staff of Lieu- tenant-General Lord Chelmsford; and for a few months in 1882 he was in command of the eastern district. In addition to the Vic- toria Cross, General Clifford is in possession of medals for the Cape, the Crimean, and China wars ; he is a Knight of the Legion of Honour, of the Medjidie, and a Companion of the Order of the Bath.