Exeter College. He was curate of St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford, from 1830 till 1832, and he held the Vice- Principalship of Maedalen Hall from the latter date tUl 1848. He was also perpetual curate of Iffley in 1839-40, and Public Orator of the University from 1842 till 1848, when, having been nominated Be- gius Professor of Divinity (an office to which is attached a canonry in Christ Church Cathedral and the Rectory of Ewelme, Oxon.), he was created D.D. by decree of Convoca- tion. Both before and after that date^he has held the office of Select Preacher to the University, viz., in 1833, 1842, and 1869. He was one of the Boyal Commissioners ap- pointed in 1864 to consider the terms of Clerical Subscription. In the following year Dr. Jacobson displayed great seal as Chairman of the Oxford committee for pro- moting the re-election of Mr. Glad- stone for the University. Almost immediately afterwards Dr. Gtra- ham. Bishop of Chester, died, and Dr. Jacobson was nominated by the Crown to the vacant see, being consecrated in York Minster, Aug. 24, 1865. On the death of Dr. Wigram, Bishop of Rochester, in Apnl, 1867, he obtained a seat in the House of Lords. In 1874 he was elected an honorary Fellow of Hertford College, Oxford. Dr. Jacobson has edited the Cate- chismus, sive Prima Institutio " of Dean Nowell, 1835 and 1844 ; " S. dementis Bomani, S. Ignatii, S. Polycarpi, Patmm Apostolicorum, quae supersunt," 2 vols. 1838, re- printed, 1840, 1847, and 1863; <'The Oxford Paraphrase and An- notations upon all the Epistles of St. Paul," 1852 ; " The Collected Works of Bishop Sanderson," 6 vols., 1854 J and "Fragmentary Illustrations of the History of the Book of Common Prayer, from MS. Sources" (Bishops Sanderson and Wren), 1874. He has also pub- lished "Sermons preached in the Parish Church of Iffley, Oxon./'
1810, 2nd edit., 1846; "On the Athanasian Creed," a Speech deli- vered in the Convocation of York, 1872 ; and a number of Charges and single Sermons. He is a con- tributor to "The Speaker's Com- mentary." He married, in 1836, the youngest daughter of the late Mr. Dawson Turner, the well-known antiquary of Great Yarmouth.
JAMAICA, Bishop op. (See NUTTALL, Dr.)
JAMES, Sm Henbt, Q.C, M.P., son of Philip Turner James, Esq., of Hereford, by Frances Gertrude, third daughter of John Bodenham, Esq., of Presteign, Radnorshire, was born at Hereford, Oct. 30, 1828, and received his education at Chel- tenham College. He was called to the bar in the Middle Temple in 1852, and went the Oxford Circuit. He had already distingtushed him- self in the legal profession, having been Lecturer's Prizeman at the Inner Temple in 1850, and again in 1851. Mr. James was nominated to the ancient office of " postman " of the Court of Exchequer in 1867 ; was made a Queen's Counsel in June, 1869 ; and became a bencher of his Inn in 1870. In March, 1869, he obtained a seat in the House of Commons as one of the members for Taunton, unseating, on a scru- tiny, his opponent, Mr. Serjeant Cox, who had been returned at the general election of the previous December. Sir Henry James still represents that borough in the Liberal interest. During the ses- sion of 1872 he took a prominent part in the debates on the Judi- cature Bill. In Sept., 1873, Mr. Gladstone appointed him Solicitor- General in succession to Sir George Jessel, and in November of that year he became Attorney-General, and received the honour of knight- hood. He went out of office with the Liberal party in Feb., 1874. He was again appointed Attorney- General on file return of the LiberaLs to power under Mr. Glad- stone in May, 1880.