into boainess. He is now head of the firm of J. & £. Morley^ whole- sale hosiers, of Wood Street, City. An earnest dissenter, Mr. Morley has been throughout his public career, both in and out of Parlia- ment, a leading champion of the cause of Protestant Nonconformity, which he has promoted by munifi- cent donations for building new chapels. He is Treasurer of the College at Homerton, and of the Home Missionary Society. Many years ago, in order to forward the work of the last-named society, he, in conjunction with the Bev. J. H. Wilson, visited most of the coun- ties in England and Wales, held conference meetings, and intro- duced a new order of agency, con- sisting of "lay evangelists" and coljporteura. Towards defraying the cost of the Congregational or Me- morial Hall in Farringdon Street, Mr. Morley contributed ^26,000, and his portrait, painted by Mr. Wells, K.A., has been placed in the library of that institution, which was foimded as a memorial of the two thousand clergymen of the Church of England who resigned their benefices in the reign of Charles II., because they could not conscien- tiously subscribe to the Act of Uni- formity. Mr. Morley represented Nottingham in the advanced Liberal interest from July, 1865, till May, 1866, when he was unseated on pe- tition. He first came forward as a candidate for Bristol, on the re- tirement of Sir Morton Peto, in May, 1868. He lost the election by 196 votes, the numbers being 5,173 for Mr. Miles, and 4,977 for Mr. Morley. Mr. Miles was imseated on petition in the ensuing June, and Mr. Morley again presented himself as a candidate. At the general election of Dec, 1868, he defeated his old opponent, Mr. Miles, by more than 2,000 votes, and he has continued to be one of the representatives of Bristol down to the present time. Mr. Morley married in 1841 Bebekah Maria,
daughter of Mr. Samuel Hope, banker, of Liverpool.
MOEEIS, Thb Ebv. Francis Obpsn, B.A., eldest son of the late Bear- Admiral Henry Gage Morris, of Beverley, Yorkshire, and grand- son of Lieutenant-Colonel the Hon. Eoger Morris, of York, was born March 25, 1810, and educated at Bromgrove School and Worcester College, Oxford, where he gpradu- ated a second class in classics in 1833. He holds the living of Nun- bumholme, Yorkshire ;- was chap- lain to the late Duke of Cleveland; and has written " A History of British Birds," published in 1851-7 ; "A Bible Natural History," "A Book of Natural History," 1852 j "A Natural History of the Nests and Eggs of British Birds," and
- 'A Natural History of British
Butterfiies," 1853; "Anecdotes in Natural History," "Natural History of British Moths," 1859-71 ; " Ke- cords of Animal Sagacity and Cha- racter," in 1861 ; *' The County Seats of the Noblemen and Gentle- men of Great Britain and Ireland ; " "The Humanity Series of School Books ; " " Plain Sermons for Plain People" (200); "A Guide to an Arrangement of Birds ; " "An Essay on Scientific Nomencla- ture;" " Difficulties of Darwinism," 1870; "Dogs and their Doings," 1871; "All the Articles of the Darwin Faith," 1877; "Letters to The Times about Birds," 1879 ; and several smaller works on religious, scientific, and social questions. Mr. Morris is a justice of the peace for the East Biding of YorksMre.
MOBBIS, The Bev. John, was bom in India, at Ootacamund, in the Madras Presidency, July 4, 1826. While pursuing his studies at Trinity College, Cambridge, he became a Cathwic, and repairing to Bome entered the English Col- lege. After receiving orders he spent three years in the diocese of Northampton and was made Canon. He then returned to Bome, and for three years held the office of Vice- 3 p2