Finance and Industry.
For 1898-99 the revenue was estimated at 1,326,889 marks, and ex- penditure at 1,348,127 marks. Public debt in 1897, 948,598 marks. In 1895 the separate farms were as follows : —
Under 1 Hectare j 1-10 Hectares 10-100 Hectares Over 100 Hectares
16,109 7,327 1,586 37
Their total area was 99,813 hectares. These farms supported a popula- tion of 44,758, of whom 20,877 were actively engaged in agriculture. Railways, 51 miles,
British Gons^tl- General, — "William Ward (Hamburg).
(Freie und Hanse-Stadt Lubeck.) Constitution.
The free city and State of Lubeck form a Republic, governed according to a Constitution proclaimed December 30, 1848, revised December 20, 1851, and April 7, 1875. The main features of this charter are two repre- sentative bodies — first, the Senate, exercising the executive, and, secondly, the Biirgerschaft, or House of Burgesses, exercising, together with the Senate, the legislative authority. The Senate is composed of fourteen members, elected for life, and presided over by one burgomaster, who holds office for two years. There are 120 members in the House of Burgesses, chosen by all citizens of the town. A committee of thirty burgesses, pre- sided over by a chairman elected for one year, has the duty of represent- ing the legislative assembly in the intervals of the ordinary sessions, and of carrying on all active business. The government is in the hands of the Senate, but the House of Burgesses has the right of initiative in all measures relative to the public expend.iture, foreign treaties, and general legislation. To the passing of every new law the sanction of the Senate and the House of Burgesses is required.
Area and Population.
The State comprises a territory of 115 English square miles, of which the population on December 1, 1890, was 76,485 and on December 2, 1895, 83,324 (40,273 males and 43,051 females). The city proper had 39,743, and the rural districts, composed of scattered portions of territory surrounded by Pnissia, Oldenburg, and Mecklenburg, 12,415 inhabitants in 1875 ; in 1880 the city had increased to 51,055, and in 1895 to 69,812. In the five years 1890-95 the population increased by 9 '78 per cent.
In the State of Liibeck the movement of population during four years was as follows : —
Surplus of Bjrths
1894 1895 1896 1897
631 572 665 684
2,589 2,684 2,847 2,734
1,457 1,515 1,446 1,621
1,132 1,169 1,401 1,113
T T 2