- On Books and Reading, by Arthur Schopenhauer, translated by Thomas Bailey Saunders
- On Books and the Housing of Them, 1898 by William Ewart Gladstone
- The First Writing-machines, by Mark Twain
- The Battle of the Books
- The End of Books, 1894 by Octave Uzanne
- My books I'd fain cast off, by Henry David Thoreau
- Unto my Books — so good to turn —, by Emily Dickinson
- Books for the people, 1848 by Anne Lynch Botta
- My Books, 1882 by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Book” in Domestic Encyclopædia by A. F. M. Willich, London, 1802.
- “Book” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- “Book,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Book”, by Alfred William Pollard in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Book,” in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)
- “Book,” in Collier's New Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier & Son Co. (1921)