Author:Henry David Thoreau
|←Author Index: Th||Henry David Thoreau
An American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, pacifist, tax resister and philosopher who is most famous for Walden.|
The icon identifies that the work includes a spoken word version.
- A Yankee in Canada, with Anti-Slavery and Reform Papers (1866), anthology of essays and addresses (transcription project)
- The writings of Henry David Thoreau, 11 vols. (1893) vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, vol 4, vol 5, vol 6, vol 7, vol 8, vol 9, vol 10, vol 11
- The First and Last Journeys of Thoreau, 2 vols. (1905) vol. 1, vol. 2
- A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers (1849) (transcription project)
- Walden (1854)
- The Maine Woods (1864) (transcription project)
- Cape Cod (1865) (transcription project)
- Summer: From the Journal of Henry D. Thoreau  (1884), edited by H. G. O. Blake
- Winter: From the Journal of Henry D. Thoreau  (1888), edited by H. G. O. Blake
- Autumn: From the Journal of Henry D. Thoreau  (1892), edited by H. G. O. Blake
Orations, Lectures, and Addresses
- Civil Disobedience, in Æsthetic Papers, No. 1. Boston (1849)
- Slavery in Massachusetts (1854)
- A Plea for Captain John Brown (1860) 
- Familiar Letters of Henry David Thoreau (1894), edited by Franklin Benjamin Sanborn (transcription project)
- Aulus Persius Flaccus (July 1840)
- Homer, Ossian, Chaucer (January 1843)
- Dark Ages (April 1843)
- An Excursion to Canada (1853)
- The Last Days of John Brown (1860)
- Walking (1862)
- Life Without Principle (1863)
- The Highland Light (1864)
- Excursions (1863), anthology containing nine essays and a biographical sketch (transcription project)
- Paradise (To Be) Regained (November 1843)
- The Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus (1843)
Works about Thoreau
- A Fable for Critics (1848) by James Russell Lowell
- "Biographical Sketch" by Ralph Waldo Emerson, in Excursions (1863)
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Thoreau, Henry David” by Joseph McCabe in A Biographical Dictionary of Ancient, Medieval, and Modern Freethinkers, 1945.
- “Thoreau” by Archibald MacMechan, Chapter X of Book II of The Cambridge History of American Literature, 1918.
- “Thoreau, Henry David” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- “Thoreau, Henry David” in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1888.
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” by Octavius Brooks Frothingham in Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography, New York: D. Appleton and Co. (1889)
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Thoreau, Henry David” in The Nuttall Encyclopædia by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd., 1907.
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” by William Sharp in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” in The Encyclopedia Americana, New York: The Encyclopedia Americana Corporation (1920)
- “Thoreau, Henry David,” in Collier's New Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier & Son Co. (1921)
On his works
- “Walden (book),” in The Encyclopedia Americana, New York: The Encyclopedia Americana Corporation (1920)