- "Chinese Secret Societies," by Frederick Boyle in Harper's New Monthly Magazine, volume 83, issue 489, September 1891
- "The Sociology of Secrecy and of Secret Societies," by Georg Simmel (tranlsated by Albion Woodbury Small) in The American Journal of Sociology, volume 11, number 4, January 1906
- “Secret Societies,” in Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913.
- The Secret Teachings of All Ages, 1928 by Manly Palmer Hall
- “Masonry (Freemasonry),” in Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913.
- Humanum genus, 1884 by Pope Leo XIII
- Freemasonry at a Glance, 1827 by William Morgan
- The Principles of Masonic Law, 1856 by Albert Mackey
- Traditions of Freemasonry and its Coincidences with the Ancient Mysteries, 1870 by Azariah T. C. Pierson
- The Symbolism of Freemasonry, 1882 by Albert Mackey
- The Origin of Freemasonry and Knights Templar, 1907 by John Richardson Bennett
- The Story of Freemasonry, 1913 by William Giddings Sibley
- American Indian Freemasonry, 1919 by Arthur Caswell Parker
- Matthew Cooke Manuscript, 1923 article
- A Survival of Mediaeval Credulity, 1900 by Edward Payson Evans as it appeared in Popular Science Monthly
- Belief and Credulity in Educational Review, Vol. 23, 1902 by Joseph Jastrow
- Devil-Worship in France, 1896 by Arthur Edward Waite
- “Illuminati,” Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913.
- “Illuminati,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- Memoirs Illustrating the History of Jacobinism, 1798 by Augustin Barruel
- Proofs of a Conspiracy Against All the Religions and Governments of Europe, 1797 by John Robison
- New England and the Bavarian Illuminati, 1918 by Vernon Stauffer