The New International Encyclopædia/Czernowitz
CZERNOWITZ, chĕr’nō̇-vĭts (Ruman. Cernăuz). The capital of the Austrian Crownland of Bukowina, situated on a hill near the right bank of the Pruth, about 164 miles east-southeast of Lemberg, not far from the Rumanian and Russian frontiers (Map: Austria, J 2). Most of the public buildings are quite modern. Among the more noteworthy ones may be mentioned the Archiepiscopal Palace, a handsome Byzantine structure, the Greek Oriental Cathedral, copied from the Church of Saint Isaac in Saint Petersburg, the Armenian Church, and the sumptuous Jewish synagogue in Moorish style. Czernowitz is the seat of a Greek Oriental archbishop. Its educational institutions include a university founded in 1875, with a library of 60,000 volumes, a gymnasium, industrial and trade schools. It has manufactures of machinery and oil. There are also saw-mills and breweries. Population, in 1890, 54,171, of whom 27,000 were Germans, 10,000 Ruthenians, 8000 Rumanians, 8000 Poles, the above figures including more than 17,000 Jews counted with the Germans and Poles according to the language used by them; in 1900, 69,619. Up to 1774, when it was occupied by the Austrians, who made it the capital of Bukowina, Czernowitz was an unimportant village.