The New International Encyclopædia/Linz
LINZ, lĭnts. The capital of the Crownland of Upper Austria. It is situated in a pleasant district on the right bank of the Danube, which is crossed by an iron bridge, connecting Linz with Urfahr, 117 miles by rail west of Vienna (Map: Austria, D 2). It is a strongly fortified, quiet town with two suburbs, Lustenau and Waldegg. The principal buildings are the cathedral (1670), the municipal parish church (1286), the castle, now used as an armory, and a museum, with a library. Linz has a trade in machinery, wagons, leather, beer, and tobacco. It has also a shipyard, a State tobacco factory employing 1000 hands, and a Chamber of Commerce. The city is well supplied with educational institutions and hospitals, and has a deaf and dumb institute, and a library (38,000 volumes). Steamboats daily ply up the river to Ratisbon, and down to Vienna. Population, in 1890, 47,685; in 1900, 58,778. Linz was the Roman camp Lentia.