|←Author Index: So||Sophocles
(496 BCE–406 BCE)
|Aeschylus and Euripides.One of the three great ancient Greek tragedians, together with|
- Ajax (c. 450–430 BCE)
- Trachiniae (c. 450–425 BCE)
- Antigone (441 BCE)
- Oedipus Rex (429 BCE)
- Electra (c. 410 BCE)
- Philoctetes (409 BCE)
- Oedipus at Colonus (406 BCE)
- The Tragedies of Sophocles, from the Greek, 2 vols., trans. Thomas Francklin  (1759) (transcription project)
- The Tragedies of Sophocles, trans. Robert Potter (1788)
- The Tragedies of Sophocles, translated into English verse, 2 vols., trans. Thomas Dale (1824)
- Selections from the choric poetry of the Greek dramatic writers by Joseph Anstice (1832)
- The Tragedies of Sophocles, in English prose, trans. T. A. Buckley (1849) 
- The Tragedies of Sophocles, rev. ed., trans. E. H. Plumptre (1878)
- Sophocles: The Seven Plays translated into English Verse, trans. Lewis Campbell (1900) (transcription project)
- The Tragedies of Sophocles, translated into English prose, trans. Richard Claverhouse Jebb  (1917)
- Sophocles, in English verse, 3 vols., trans. Arthur S. Way (1909)
- Sophocles, with an English translation, trans. Francis Storr (1913)
- Fragments of lost dramas 
Works about Sophocles
- Sophocles, by Clifton Wilbraham Collins, part of the Ancient Classics for English Readers series (1871)
- Sophocles, by Lewis Campbell, part of the Classical Writers series (1879)
- "Sophocles", Chapter XI. in A History of Ancient Greek Literature by Gilbert Murray, 1901.
- Paul Shorey, “Sophocles,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Sophocles” in The Nuttall Encyclopædia by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd., 1907.
- “Sophocles,” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911.
- “Sophocles,” in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)
- “Sophocles,” in Collier's New Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier & Son Co.
- “On the Irony of Sophocles” by Connop Thirlwall, Philological Museum, 2: 483–537. (1833)
- “The Genius of Sophocles” in Essays and Addresses by Richard Claverhouse Jebb (1907)
- “Suidas on the Change Ascribed to Sophocles in Regard to Trilogies” in Essays and Addresses by Richard Claverhouse Jebb (1907)