- “New Mexico” by J. W. Hawes in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- “New Mexico” by L. Bradford Prince in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1884.
- “New Mexico,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “New Mexico” in The Nuttall Encyclopædia by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd., 1907.
- “New Mexico”, in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “New Mexico,” by Aurelio M. Espinosa in Catholic Encyclopedia, New York: The Encyclopaedia Press (1913)
- “New Mexico,” in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)
- “New Mexico,” in Collier's New Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier & Son Co. (1921)
- “New Mexico,” Encyclopædia Britannica (12th ed.), 1922.