I'm a reader, sitting with my laptop in the coffeeshops of Freo, enjoying both the old tech of bound books and the new of wiki interaction — and the jolly fun conversion of texts between the two (as in: paper → scans → Wikisource → pagination → printer → signatures → paper → binding).
|Awards for participation|
Some things that I've helped with, and why…
- Terræ-filius: or, the Secret History of the University of Oxford
- I wanted to add a citation to Wiktionary:Golgotha of the first recorded use of that term as meaning the rooms of the heads of colleges, because someone queried whether I'd just made it up. So I started transcribing the whole work.
- The West Australian and other newspapers
- The Fremantle local history collection has been keeping clippings from newspapers for sixty years or more, and a few years ago I started a database of these. Many from before 1954 (i.e. the public domain ones) are available on Trove, so I've an idea of adding some of these issues to Wikisource.
- Miscellaneous Papers on Mechanical Subjects by Joseph Whitworth
- Contains one of the original papers about mechanically flattening reference plates (which activity I am, from time to time, engaged in: three great slabs of granite and umpteen rounds of grinding…).
- Base Facilities Report
- In 2011 an old US Navy laundry building in Fremantle was scheduled for demolition, and the history of the US Navy's 'occupation' of Fremantle was brought to public attention. This was one of the documents used to determine what else was extant from those days (nothing) and to help the case for the retention of the shed.
- Proofread of the Month
- November 2009, June 2011, and July 2011.
- The Fremantle Wharf Crisis of 1919
- Proofread, because sometimes it's nice to sit and read.
- Twilight (Frankau)
- Proofread (or 'smoothread', as Project Gutenbergians call it) after it was the PotM for June 2012.
- History of West Australia by W. B. Kimberly
- Proofread because I live here, and also saw a few typographical errors in the first few pages.
- Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery
- The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf
- Probably the best-proofread book I've read from Wikisource (i.e. required the fewest fixes post-validation).
- p. 58: "I always think it's living, not dying, that counts. I really respect some snuffy old stockbroker who's gone on adding up column after column all his days, and trotting back to his villa at Brixton with some old pug dog he worships, and a dreary little wife sitting at the end of the table, and going off to Margate for a fortnight—I assure you I know heaps like that—well, they seem to me really nobler than poets whom every one worships, just because they're geniuses and die young. But I don't expect you to agree with me!"
- Vocabulary of the Aboriginal Language of Western Australia
- A six-part serial published in the The Perth gazette and Western Australian journal. Part of a project to add Noongar language material to Wiktionary.
- Category:Index Validated
- Where to get more things to read.
- Scratch pad.
- My scripty bits, hacking up the editing form to fit it all on my little screen.
- My stylesheet modifications, to use the DBCustomMono2 font.
- Adds a toolbar button for converting all quotation marks, apostrophes, and dashes to their correct nicer typographical selves.
Recent additions to Wikisource:
- 7 October 2015: Index:The Eyes of Innocence.djvu
- 6 October 2015: Index:MALAYSIA BILL BUSINESS OF THE HOUSE (Hansard, 11 Juli 1963).djvu
- 6 October 2015: Index:British hansard (1963) Malaysia bill.djvu
- 5 October 2015: Index:Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, 2002.djvu
- 1 October 2015: Index:Songs of a Savoyard.djvu
- 27 September 2015: Index:The Prisoner of Zenda.djvu
- 25 September 2015: Index:Goddardmay1930.jpg
- 25 September 2015: Index:My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus (1908).djvu
- 24 September 2015: Index:Texas Dept. of Housing and Community Affairs v. Inclusive Communities Project, Inc.pdf
- 23 September 2015: Index:Transmittal of Letter from Minister of Foreign Affairs on Korean Claim to Dokdo Island
- 23 September 2015: Index:A comprehensive index of names of original authors and translators of psalm and hymns, with the dates of their various works.djvu
- 22 September 2015: Index:Some soldier poets.djvu
- 18 September 2015: Index:Descent of Man 1875.djvu
- 14 September 2015: Index:Stevenson - Fables (1896).djvu
- 14 September 2015: Index:Recovery from the passage of an iron bar through the head.djvu
- 13 September 2015: Index:Thomas Reid (Fraser 1898).djvu
- 13 September 2015: Index:Behemoth 1889.djvu
- 13 September 2015: Index:Small Souls (1919).djvu
- 12 September 2015: Index:Crowdsourcing and Open Access.djvu
- 11 September 2015: Index:Southern Historical Society Papers volume 37.djvu