I'm a reader, sitting with my laptop in the coffeeshops of Freo, enjoying both the old tech of bound books and the new of wiki interaction — and the jolly fun conversion of texts between the two (as in: paper → scans → Wikisource → pagination → printer → signatures → paper → binding).
|Awards for participation|
Some things that I've helped with, and why…
- Terræ-filius: or, the Secret History of the University of Oxford
- I wanted to add a citation to Wiktionary:Golgotha of the first recorded use of that term as meaning the rooms of the heads of colleges, because someone queried whether I'd just made it up. So I started transcribing the whole work.
- The West Australian and other newspapers
- The Fremantle local history collection has been keeping clippings from newspapers for sixty years or more, and a few years ago I started a database of these. Many from before 1954 (i.e. the public domain ones) are available on Trove, so I've an idea of adding some of these issues to Wikisource.
- Miscellaneous Papers on Mechanical Subjects by Joseph Whitworth
- Contains one of the original papers about mechanically flattening reference plates (which activity I am, from time to time, engaged in: three great slabs of granite and umpteen rounds of grinding…).
- Base Facilities Report
- In 2011 an old US Navy laundry building in Fremantle was scheduled for demolition, and the history of the US Navy's 'occupation' of Fremantle was brought to public attention. This was one of the documents used to determine what else was extant from those days (nothing) and to help the case for the retention of the shed.
- Proofread of the Month
- November 2009, June 2011, and July 2011.
- The Fremantle Wharf Crisis of 1919
- Proofread, because sometimes it's nice to sit and read.
- Twilight (Frankau)
- Proofread (or 'smoothread', as Project Gutenbergians call it) after it was the PotM for June 2012.
- History of West Australia by W. B. Kimberly
- Proofread because I live here, and also saw a few typographical errors in the first few pages.
- Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery
- The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf
- Probably the best-proofread book I've read from Wikisource (i.e. required the fewest fixes post-validation).
- p. 58: "I always think it's living, not dying, that counts. I really respect some snuffy old stockbroker who's gone on adding up column after column all his days, and trotting back to his villa at Brixton with some old pug dog he worships, and a dreary little wife sitting at the end of the table, and going off to Margate for a fortnight—I assure you I know heaps like that—well, they seem to me really nobler than poets whom every one worships, just because they're geniuses and die young. But I don't expect you to agree with me!"
- Category:Index Validated
- Where to get more things to read.
- Scratch pad.
- My scripty bits, hacking up the editing form to fit it all on my little screen.
- My stylesheet modifications, to use the DBCustomMono2 font.
Recent additions to Wikisource:
- 1 August 2015: Index:The Fall of Maximilan's Empire.djvu
- 1 August 2015: Index:A Biographical Sketch (of B. S. Barton) - William P. C. Barton.djvu
- 31 July 2015: Index:"Treat'em Rough^ Join The Tanks. United States Tank Corps.", ca. 1917 - ca. 1919 - NARA - 512447.jpg
- 31 July 2015: Index:"Where The Victims Are...Save The Survivors- 3,950,000 starving people...Campaign for $30,000,000.", ca. 1917 - ca. 1919 - NARA - 512642.jpg
- 31 July 2015: Index:HKFactSheet FireServices 032011.pdf
- 31 July 2015: Index:HKFactSheet CorrectionalServices 032015.pdf
- 31 July 2015: Index:HKFactSheet Education 032015.pdf
- 30 July 2015: Index:Convent School (Dugdale).djvu
- 30 July 2015: Index:Letter from Florence Earle Coates to Mr. Jayne (Easter 1913)
- 30 July 2015: Index:HKFactSheet Tourism 082011.pdf
- 26 July 2015: Index:HKFactSheet DistrictAdministration 042015.pdf
- 26 July 2015: Index:HKFactSheet CreativeIndustries 122014.pdf
- 25 July 2015: Index:The Decrees of the Vatican Council.djvu
- 24 July 2015: Index:"Member of the United States Food Administration. Please Hang This Card In Your Front Window.", ca. 1917 - ca. 1919 - NARA - 512510.jpg
- 24 July 2015: Index:"WATCH FOR THESE MARKS" - NARA - 516054.jpg
- 24 July 2015: Index:"This Store is pledged to conform to the Sugar Regulations of the Food Administration. Your Sugar Ration is 2lbs. per mo - NARA - 512525.jpg
- 24 July 2015: Index:"We will help win the war^ Will You...", ca. 1917 - ca. 1919 - NARA - 512683.jpg
- 24 July 2015: Index:"We Must conserve Food To Keep the Wolf from our Own Door...Appalling Conditions Threaten America If We Waste Our Foods. - NARA - 512559.jpg
- 24 July 2015: Index:"Uncle Sam's Birthday. 1776- July 4th 1918. 142 Years Young and Going Strong.", ca. 1917 - ca. 1919 - NARA - 512445.jpg
- 24 July 2015: Index:"U.S. Marines "Soldiers of the Sea" For Full Information Apply Recruiting Station.", ca. 1917 - ca. 1919 - NARA - 512457.jpg