|Main Page (talk)||Archives→ →|
Note: This page is for discussion of the Main Page only. General discussion or questions about Wikisource belong at the Scriptorium.
Older comments are moved to the archives. The main page code is modularised for ease of editing. Some of the formatting is in the site stylesheet, and the major sections are templated: featured text, new texts, main categories, Collaboration, and sister projects.
|Daily article pageviews|
What ever happened to the new look for the main page
It was around this time last year when the idea came up and its been sitting in the Sandbox ever since? If nobody is going to work to its end, I'd like to remove not only the old .css from more than 2 revisions ago but this idle attempt as well. -- George Orwell III (talk) 01:32, 5 January 2015 (UTC)
- link to draft revisions?--Doug.(talk • contribs) 17:21, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
- @Doug: The only one I'm aware of is found at... https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Main_Page/sandbox
- By all means -- feel free to take the bull by the horns. I was referring to 6 years of accumulated .css however -- mostly parked in Gadget-enws-mainpage.css but there's some code in the current Common.css however. -- George Orwell III (talk) 17:52, 5 March 2015 (UTC)
- Fixed. Thanks. — billinghurst sDrewth 12:58, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
Hi. The one place it doesn't look like you can find directly from this page is the Main Page for the multilingual Wikisource (i.e., //wikisource.org/, or mul:). Any chance of someone adding a manual link to there somewhere on this page?
Or maybe that will work through Wikidata, as long as only the one page from :s:mul: is linked there? (it doesn't) StevenJ81 (talk) 15:56, 13 August 2015 (UTC)
- This was contemporaneously resolved with a manual link. StevenJ81 (talk) 00:10, 19 January 2017 (UTC)
Looks like there's a mistranslation on the main page
It currently says "Œdipus (1718, 1906 for traduction)". It looks like the French word traduction has been incorrectly used in place of the English word "translation". Simon Peter Hughes (talk) 13:20, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- Looks like it's okay English, but there should be no objection to making the change at Template:New texts. User:Bradype is the editor who made the edit. —Beleg Tâl (talk) 16:11, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
Main page in mobile
Mistake in December featured text template
The website on which The Tale of Little Pig Robinson is hosted is referred to as Wikilivres. The website isn't called Wikilivres anymore. Its named was changed to Bibliowiki about six months ago. Could an admin please edit the template to fix the name? Thank you. Simon Peter Hughes (talk) 04:20, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
Wrong Author for this month's Proofread of the Month
- Done Fixed. I think someone was understandably confused by the library annotation of "Godwin" on the scan's title page. --EncycloPetey (talk) 19:47, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
"almost 100 years" in featured text
- Because it is the April 2018 selection, and the accompanying blurb was prepared for that year. No new selection for April was made in 2019, so the 2018 selection has carried over to this year. We have had little participation in the Featured Text process for the past year. --EncycloPetey (talk) 23:40, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
Top headers need to be fixed
Someone with editing access needs to change the margins on the top two headers (AUGUST’S FEATURED TEXT and NEW TEXTS) so that they don't have a white gap above them. To do this, change the margins on the h2 tags from
margin:1em 0; to
margin:0 0 1em 0;. Kaldari (talk) 18:14, 28 August 2019 (UTC)
- Done , good suggestion, I agree that this is an improvement. —Beleg Tâl (talk) 18:41, 28 August 2019 (UTC)
Link points to Rewards and Fairies. Not that Kipling's works aren't worth being Featured:) —Akme 12:49, 4 November 2019 (UTC)
I get that the Portals seem to be sorted by US Library of Congress Standards, but it does seem less than inclusive that the "Highlights" section of the front page which seems static (unlike new texts, etc) is US-centric, highlighting the US Civil War, the US Revolution, the SCOTUS, Documents from US History, etc.
Clicking any of the download links (pdf, mobi, etc.) on the january featured (The first men on the moon, by H. G. Wells) article resolves to a 503 and not a file. I believe it should be fixed. 11:09, 7. January 2020 (GMT). —unsigned comment by Hyatt03 (talk) .
- @Hyatt03: Thanks for the notification. There is a tools server issue in play, it should be temporary, and hopefully resolved by the time you view this message. These mobile versions are generated on-the-fly from master documents. — billinghurst sDrewth 01:05, 8 January 2020 (UTC)
is to be replaced with
And also idol 'Seva'
is to be replaced with
'Siva' (or 'Shiva').
- @Helppublic: Wikisource transcribes previously published works as they were published. What you see on the main page is just a blurb from the work Oriental Scenery that was published in 1816, and which used the spelling "Hindoo" so that is what we reproduce here. --Xover (talk) 10:25, 8 August 2020 (UTC)