Wikisource:WikiProject Wiki Bible
|WikiProject Wiki Bible|
|Wikiproject Wiki Bible is a wikiproject to create an original, open content translation of the source text of the Bible that will be in the Public Domain.
It is located at Translation:Bible.
This is a work in progress. Everyone is welcome.
If you know Greek or Hebrew, add your name to the list of participants and claim a chapter! Or if you don't want to make that commitment yet, check somebody else's work. If you don't know Greek or Hebrew, we can still very much use your English skills in proof-reading and tweaking the text.
- 1 Translation guidelines
- 2 Status of Project
- 3 Participants
- 4 Related WikiProjects
- 5 External Resources
- 6 Manuscript, Scroll, and Papyri Links
- Stay faithful to the original source text and do not borrow from copyrighted modern versions. The text should be as literal as possible while still translating the correct meaning into good English.
- Keep the translation simple, non-technical, robust, and easy-to-understand.
- Avoid sectarian disputes, possibly by footnoting variant translations.
- Share your sources. (In the page talk put all details about which source text you used.--and any other such details about the translation.)
- Don't hesitate to add footnotes. All kinds of footnotes are welcome, including if you're really not sure about how something should be translated. Either another editor will see your footnote, and fix the text, or it is a place where translating well is really difficult, and this info is good to be passed on to the reader. (In case of ambiguity in the text, put the other possible renderings in the footnotes.)
Status of Project
No chapters claimed at present. Translation work continues on the Hebrew Bible with two contributors in the past month, as of 12/29/2017.
- 2 Kings
- Ezra (all but 5:1-6:18, which is in Aramaic)
- Job (ch. 1-5)
- Psalms (ch. 1-65, 77, 90, 100, 105, 111, 115, 117, 121, 134, 135, 137, 150, 151)
- Proverbs (ch. 1)
- Isaiah (ch. 1, 29:14, 41:13, 55:1-13)
- Jeremiah (ch. 9:23-24, 21:4)
- Ezekiel (ch. 1)
- Daniel (ch. 1-2:4, 8-12)
- Acts (ch. 1)
- 1 Corinthians (ch. 1-7)
- Ephesians (ch. 1)
- Philippians (ch. 1:1-6)
- Colossians (ch. 1:1-15)
- 1 Thessalonians (ch. 1, 2)
- 2 Thessalonians (ch. 2:3-12)
- Hebrews (ch. 1, 2:1-10)
- 1 Peter (ch. 1:1-3)
- 2 Peter (ch. 1:1-10)
- 1 John (ch. 1-3)
- Jude (1)
- Revelation (ch. 1)
- Prayer of Manasseh (ch. 1:1-3)
- 1 Esdras (ch. 1:1-6)
- Additions to Esther (ch. 1:1-3)
- Judith (ch. 1:1-2a)
- Jubilees (ch. 1:1-3)
- 1 Enoch (ch. 1-9)
- Wisdom (ch. 1)
- 1 Samuel
- 2 Samuel
- 1 Kings
- 1 Chronicles
- Song of Songs
- 2 John
- 3 John
So far all translated books are in a draft state. Please help fix 'em up!
Books not started
- 2 Chronicles
- 2 Corinthians
- 1 Timothy
- 2 Timothy
- 2 Esdras
- 2 Maccabees
- 3 Maccabees
- 4 Maccabees
- 5 Maccabees
- 6 Maccabees
- 7 Maccabees
- 8 Maccabees
- 2 Enoch
- 3 Enoch
- 1 Meqabyan
- 2 Meqabyan
- 3 Meqabyan
- Psalms of Solomon
- Prayer of Solomon
- Paralipomena of Baruch
- 2 Baruch
- Letter of Baruch
- 3 Baruch
- 4 Baruch
- Additions to Daniel
- Acts of Paul
- Corinthians to Paul
- 3 Corinthians
- Apocalypse of Peter
- 1 Clement
- 2 Clement
- The Shepherd of Hermas
- Ser'atä Seyon
- Book of the Covenant 1
- Book of the Covenant 2
- Ethiopic Clement
This is the list of participants.
Here are user boxes.
- Online Greek New Testament, , 
- Perseus Greek Vocabulary Tool
- Perseus Greek Word Study Tool
- Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
- The Masoretic Text
- Hebrew Bible According to the Masoretic Text and the JPS1917 ed
- Hebrew-English Edition of above
- Novum Testamentum Graece (NA 27)
- UBS Greek New Testament (4th edition)
- The Sword Project (from Crosswire Bible Society)
- NTGreek.net Three graduated courses designed for students who want to learn to read the Greek New Testament
- e-Sword Bible Software Has many different translations and dictionaries (including Webster's 1828 dictionary) which can be installed as modules.
- NET Bible
- Online Parallel Study Bible Read and Search the Bible in Greek, Hebrew, English, Latin, and other parallel versions.
- Paul Kahle's Masoreten Des Ostens A transcription of various Babylonian manuscript fragments (mostly Cairo Genizah).
- Paul Kahle's Masoreten Des Westens A transcription of various Palestinian manuscript fragments (mostly Cairo Genizah).
Manuscript, Scroll, and Papyri Links
- The Leningrad Codex The oldest, most complete manuscript.
- The Aleppo Codex The crown jewel of the Masoretes (but missing most of Torah and other bits).
- British Library MS Oriental 4445 One of the oldest Masoretic Torah scrolls.
- The Berlin Codex Oldest, most complete, pre-Masoretic Babylonian manuscript (Psalms through Chronicles).
Dead Sea Scrolls
- The Great Isaiah Scroll 1QIsa-a.