- A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union (1961)
- Ordinance of Secession (9 January 1861)
- “Mississippi” by J. W. Hawes in The American Cyclopædia, 1879.
- “Mississippi (State)” by Robert Burwell Fulton in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed.), 1883.
- “Mississippi” in The Nuttall Encyclopædia by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd., 1907.
- “Mississippi” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Mississippi,” by Frank Johnston in Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913.
- “Mississippi,” Collier's New Encyclopedia. New York: P.F. Collier & Son Co., 1921.
- Wallace Carlton Murphy, “Mississippi,” Encyclopædia Britannica (12th ed.), 1922.