A Pronouncing and Defining Dictionary of the Swatow Dialect, Arranged According to Syllables and Tones
PRONOUNCING AND DEFINING
THE SWATOW DIALECT,
ARRANGED ACCORDING TO SYLLABLES AND TONES.
OF THE AMERICAN BAPTIST MISSION AT SWATOW.
AMERICAN PRESBYTARIAN MISSION PRESS
THOSE WHO ARE TO COME
AMERICAN BAPTIST MISSION AT SWATOW
AS BEARERS OF THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST TO THE TIE-CHIU PEOPLE
THIS BOOK IS AFFECTIONATELY INSCRIBED.
The compilation of this Dictionary, which contains 5442 words, has occupied four years, in connection with much other work. Thanks are due from the author to many who have incidentally assisted her in the making of this book, especially to Dr. S. Wells Williams, whose far greater labors have helped her to such knowledge as she has of the Chinese language; to Dr. Wm. Ashmore, whose acquaintance with the Swatow vernacular has made his advice valuable to her; to those who at different times and places have cared for her during severe illness; to those who have furnished the funds for the publication of her work; and to Dr. and Mrs. M. T. Yates, of Shanghai, whose home has been hers during the year of putting the book through the press.
A. M. FIELDE.
Shanghai, March, 1883.
- ca caⁿ cah cai cak cam cang cap cau
- ce ceⁿ ceh cek ceng
- ci ciⁿ cia ciaⁿ ciah ciak ciam ciang ciap cie cieⁿ cieh cien ciet cih cim cin cio cioh ciok cip cit ciu
- co coi coiⁿ coih cok cong
- co̤ co̤h
- cu cua cuaⁿ cuah cuak cuang cue cuh cui cun cut
- cwn cwt
- cha chaⁿ chah chai chak cham chang chap chau
- che cheⁿ cheh chek cheng
- chi chiⁿ chia chiaⁿ chiah chiak chiam chiang chiap chie chieⁿ chieh chien chiet chih chim chin chio chioh chip chit chiu
- cho choi choiⁿ choih chok chong
- cho̤ cho̤h
- chu chua chuaⁿ chuah chuang chue chueh chui chun chut
- chṳ chṳh
- thi thiⁿ thiaⁿ thiah thiam thiang thiap thie thien thiet thih thim thin thio thiok thit thiu
- tho thoa thoaⁿ thoah thoi thoiⁿ thoih thok thong
- tho̤ tho̤h
- thu thuaⁿ thuah thue thuh thui thun thut